Derek Layne Peterson
Marketing, Design & Communications Professional
931 S. Washington St. • Papillion, NE 68046-2639 • 402-850-6256 • Derek@dpeterson.info
Infused with a passion for results, I have an exceptional breadth of marketing abilities. I bring proven, real-world proficiency in marketing leadership, management, planning, design, writing and creative production. I am a natural leader to whom teammates, peers and senior leaders come for input and perspective. Both strategic and creative, I am well suited for a wide variety of marketing responsibilities.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
Marketing – Strategic and Tactical Planning; Content Marketing; Web and Social Media Strategies; Search Engine Management; Digital and Print Advertising; Media Buying; Advertising Design; Photo Direction; Art Direction; Writing; Data Analysis and Reporting; Brand Management; Trade Show and Event Design.
Leadership and Management – Facilitating; Collaborating; Creating and Managing Budgets; Leading Teams; Defining Direct Report Goals; Administering Formal Performance Reviews and Salary and Bonus Assessments; Negotiating Contracts; Reviewing Materials for Legal Compliance and Quality Control.
Technology – Macintosh Platform; PC Windows Platform; Photoshop; InDesign; Illustrator; Dreamweaver; Acrobat; QuarkXPress; Microsoft Office Word; Excel; PowerPoint; Managing hardware, software and print production.
CAREER HISTORY & KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Senior Marketing Specialist / Graphic Designer / Copywriter – 1987 to present
NiteLight Marketing – Omaha, Nebr.; Des Moines, Iowa; Ames, Iowa; Sioux City, Iowa
- Occasionally provide marketing services to friends, community partners and charitable causes.
- Includes A-to-Z marketing support, planning, budgeting, designing, writing and implementing their projects.
Marketing and Sales Associate – 2015 to 2016
Financial Transmission Network – Omaha, Nebr.
- Gathered all marketing materials from third-party agencies and vendors for management by in-house marketing.
- Standardized gathered materials’ designs, colors, typefaces, logo use, and all other aspects of brand management.
- Wrote press releases, success stories, articles, promotional pieces, emails, website pages and general materials.
- Designed and wrote flyers, brochures, eBooks, presentations, data sheets, sales sheets and direct email.
- Serviced a HubSpot-based website including originating pages and emails for broadcast, and designing graphics for calls-to-action.
- Consulted on Google Ad Words campaigns, target words/phrases, budget and results of the online activities.
Marketing Design Manager (Promoted to this position) − 2010 to 2013
Senior Marketing Specialist (Promoted to this position) − 2003 to 2010
Securities America − Omaha, Nebr.; La Vista, Nebr.
- Led a team of marketing professionals at this nationwide firm that is top-ten in its industry.
- Generated marketing plans and materials for the corporation and nearly 2,000 affiliated independent businesses.
- Diagnosed reputation risk generated by Internet search engines. Search engine results were 100% negative above the fold and 65% negative on page one. Studied the challenge, developed counter measures and directed an online reputation management project resulting in consistently 100% positive search engine results on page one.
- Demonstrated to the firm’s Executive Leadership Team the value of short-term and long-term online brand strategies, gaining approval and budget to proceed addressing the needs. Spearheaded the strategy and building of a scalable infrastructure for a modern online presence positioned to meet evolving corporate and digital needs.
- Appointed marketing subject matter expert for the firm’s first acquisition of another firm, its independent business affiliates and its subsidiary firm. Built the communications section of a 1,500 line item acquisition 'to do' list. Planned, created and executed nearly all communications and marketing to the acquisition’s five distinct audiences.
- Analyzed ways to produce on-site and overnight a 24-page, full-color, large format daily magazine for annual five-day National Conferences in different cities each year. Solved the challenges and designed a process to produce the paper. Located a commercial printer in each city every year for these complex productions. Negotiated contracts, took photos, updated articles, prepared files and managed production on-site for printing and morning distribution.
Marketing Manager − 2003 to 2003
QA3 Corporation − Omaha, Nebr.
- Founded the firm's Marketing Department with software, hardware and internal/external production capabilities.
- Built the company’s business affiliate recruiting process and all of the company’s other marketing processes, campaigns and materials. These included client-facing campaigns and materials for the firm’s in-house affiliates.
Marketing Specialist (Promoted to this position) − 1999 to 2003
Marketing Coordinator − 1999 to 2001
Securities America − Omaha, Nebr.; La Vista, Nebr.
- Spurred growth of the firm’s marketing staff and capabilities from minimal to a 10-person in-house creative team. Established sophisticated, personalized in-house printing with optimal software, hardware and inventory.
- Produced national advertising including all aspects of design, media planning, negotiating, media buying, materials production and materials placement.
- Created marketing for the corporation, its departments and nearly 2,000 affiliated independent businesses.
- Managed public relations and communications including working with publications and writing releases, letters, articles, email, speeches and other communications for the Executive Leadership Team and department leaders.
- Developed, presented for executive approval and supervised an annual marketing budget greater than $2 million.
Project Manager / Digital Press Preparation Specialist − 1996 to 1999
Digital Impressions − Omaha, Nebr.
- Managed printing projects for two state-of-the-art digital printing presses, including variable data printing.
Senior Customer Relationship Manager (Promoted to this position) – 1994 to 1996
Senior Pre-Press Production Specialist (Promoted to this position) – 1994 to 1994
Pre-Press Production Specialist − 1993 to 1993
Waddell Digital Imaging Center − Des Moines, Iowa
- Managed and processed color-separated film for advertising agencies, publications and other organizations.
- Standardized and systematized the company’s file naming norms and server content organization.
Master of Business Administration Degree from Iowa State University − GPA: 3.50 / 4.00
Major: Management with a uniquely designed Marketing emphasis
Marketing Research, Transportation and Logistics and Accounting Teaching Assistantships
Bachelor of Arts Degree from Morningside College − GPA: 3.78 / 4.00 – Magna Cum Laude Graduate
Double Majors: Graphic Design and Business Administration with an Advertising emphasis
Double Minors: Mass Communications and Studio Art
- Subject Matter Expert Training Program Participant
- Subject Matter Expert Training Program (leader of one of my marketing team members)
- Emerging Leaders II Program
- Leadership Discussion Group Program
- Situational Leadership II Program
- Management Essentials II Program
- Situational Leadership I Program
- Situational Self-Leadership Program
- Emerging Leaders I Program
- Management Essentials I Program
- Two “Mastering Adobe Photoshop” and one “Mastering Adobe Illustrator” Workshops
- Collaboration Award Nomination
- Customer Service Provider of the Quarter Winner
- Employee of the Year Nomination
- Rookie Employee of the Year Nomination
- Customer Relationship Manager of the Year
- Named a Roadman Scholar in Recognition of High Academic Distinction
- Marion Rocklin Shapiro Memorial Award in Art
- Zeta Sigma Scholastic Honor Society of Morningside College
- National Advertising Federation Competitions